I was walking alone up Georgia- this walk takes about 10 or 15 minutes. In that time I was harassed 6 times. No one time was particularly scary or mean, but the sum of that walk really upset me.
1. A group of younger men commented commented “hey girl, you don’t have to walk so fast. slow down and say hi” as I passed them.
2. A man composed an impromptu rap about wanting my mouth as he walked pass me. Also something about bacon?
3. A young man swerved in front of me to give me a flyer. “You should come to this. What’s your name boo?” I told him a name and said I had to go. “Nice to meet you girl.”
4. Passing a guy at the crosswalk, “why all the pretty girls be walking the other way?”
5. Guy standing outside the subway “Hey baby.”
I was two steps from my destination. Pretty pissed at all this. Already composing this post in my head.
6. Older man sitting outside a restaurant, very sweetly: “You can stop and say Hello. It’s okay to say hello.” I did. I turned around and say hello back, sweetly, told him I was doing well thank you, and proceeded on to my friend’s door.
I’m pissed at him about that – but mostly I’m pissed at myself for turning on a dime and letting him get my attention. He was being sweet in his tone, but he would never have said that if i was a guy. Same goes for all of the above. I still feel tense and shaken by the whole thing.
Submitted by B on 5/21/2010
Location: Georgia Ave. between Florida and Euclid
Do you have a personal experience with gender-based public sexual harassment or assault you would like to submit? Just click here and fill out the online submission form. All submissions are posted anonymously unless you specify.