Holla Back DC! is fighting street harassment in America’s capital by empowering Washingtonians to speak out against gender based public sexual harassment.
The Holla Back DC! Mission
Holla Back DC! is grassroots organization that aims to empower the DC Metro area to build a community free from public sexual harassment and assault. We do this through online activism, public policy and advocacy, community workshops, and providing innovative direct services. Holla Back DC! hopes to build a coalition of like-minded individuals, organizations, and businesses that are invested in making the public spaces of the DC metro area safe for women and LGBTQ individuals.
To uphold our mission, Holla Back DC! values:
- Community-driven solutions, through thoughtful and strategic community organizing and building
- Utilizing technology to enhance engagement and empowerment models
- Developing innovative tools that all individuals, regardless of background or life experiences, can use when witnessing or being a victim to public sexual harassment and assault
- Working within the diverse and intersectionalities of our communities
- Volunteers and employees giving their time to this cause
Who We Are
In 2009, Shannon and Chai, two local DC activists created Holla Back DC!, an online forum for individuals to submit their experiences of public sexual harassment and assault as a way to raise awareness about the prevalence of street harassment in DC. In April 2009, due to popularity and community support, the Holla Back DC! founders decided to expand the efforts to offline activism, including workshops, policy & advocacy, and community outreach.
Leave us a message: 202.556.4232